Total Pageviews

Monday, November 29, 2010

A Face To The Unemployment Crisis

I have stated in a prior post that I am one of the 15 million unemployed people in this country. With the issue of extending unemployment benefits looming I thought I would take the time to explain some things about the unemployed.  This is not a political rant.  I am not going to talk about who or what caused the economy to tank thus putting this country into the worst recession since the Great Depression.  I am not going to argue about the deficit or who is or isn't responsible for fixing this mess, or even how to fix it.  I could do all those things.  I certainly have opinions about them, and with a Bachelor's Degree in Economics, somewhat more knowledge about it than the average person.  Perhaps another post.  This post is just for the purpose of putting a face on the problem.  My problem.

I lost my job with state government in January 2009.  It was a job I had held for 18 years.  Although I was not a political appointee, I was removed by the new governor for reasons only he can explain.  I did nothing wrong.  I was simply not wanted any longer.  Since that time I have fruitlessly searched for another job.  My unemployment benefits run out next week if no extension is passed.  That is my problem.

Who am I?  I am a 51 year old professional woman.  I have two college degrees, one a law degree.  I am the face of the unemployed in this country.  According to the U.S Department of Labor the demographics of the long term unemployed during this current economic crisis has changed dramatically from what it has been historically.  Long term unemployment has increased 185% for those age 45 and older; 289% for those possessing at least a bachelor's degree; and 125% for women.  I obtained these numbers here:  http://stats.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2010/10/art1full.pdf   I, ladies and gentleman, AM the unemployed.  What I am NOT is lazy.  What I am NOT is a whiner. Yet I have been called that, and worse. 

The face of the long term unemployed has changed, but the treatment of them has not.  Employers still look at them negatively, despite the enormity of the current economic crisis. Employers use credit checks, and advertisements stating blatantly that applicants not currently employed will not be considered, to weed them out.  Today we are looking at an epidemic of highly educated and highly experienced people being thrown under the bus.  No longer is that unemployed person a welfare mother or a deadbeat.  He or she is an engineer, an accountant, and yes, an attorney.

Still people just don't get it.  Get a job at McDonald's I am told, they are hiring.  Does any remotely sensible person really believe that McDonald's is going to hire an attorney to make Big Macs?  I have applied at McDonald's as well as other restaurants and retail establishments, only to be ignored.  I applied for a job at Lowe's online only to be rejected by email in less than 24 hours.  I was actually given an interview by Target, but again, quick email rejection.  Now, I am not blaming these employers, not really.  Why would a retail establishment hire an attorney with no retail experience?  Training is expensive and there would be no guarantee I would stick around long enough to recoup that investment. 

And there is also the inevitable question that I get.  Why not start my own practice?  Because it takes serious financial resources to do that.  Malpractice insurance itself would be cost prohibitive for me in my current financial straits.  Without a job, no bank would make me a loan.  An established law firm will not hire me because I have no private practice experience, and have no client base to bring to the firm.  Remember, I have worked in the government sector my entire career.  I am, as they say, up the proverbial creek.

I continue to press on however.  I continue to apply at those restaurants and retail establishments.  I do occasionally get interviews for attorney jobs, though I have yet to be hired for one.  I am substitute teaching for a small modicum of income when those unemployment benefits run out.  The last of my savings is dwindling.  

I am the face of the unemployed make no mistake about that.  If you have a job count your blessings.  And try to keep an open mind when you hear the politicians and the pundits and the attention seekers take shots at the unemployed.  They will continue to do so.  You see we don't count.  And when I and 4.99 million other people run out of unemployment benefits next week we will not count literally.  Not in those unemployment figures you see thrown around in the media.  We will be under the bus.

2 comments:

  1. I was 51 when I got laid off. After 6 months of no luck, I went back to trade school. The same subject I'd taken 30 yrs ago, but updated of course. Didn't learn much I didn't know. I graduated and, voila, my resumes got responses and I got offers. So, a suggestion, look into an l.l.m. program somewhere. Not that it will make you better, it might open those doors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea blingboy!

    ReplyDelete